Wednesday, November 30, 2011

You Are The Apple Of My Eye

Synopsis: "Adolescence is like a heavy rain. Even though you catch a cold from it, you still look forward to experiencing it once again. Ko-Teng has several close friends who had a crush on Shen Chia-Yi. Those friends of Ko's thus moved in unison from Ching Cheng's junior high school straight into the senior high school division in pursuit of her. Naughty in nature, Ko was ordered by their homeroom teacher to sit in front of honor student Shen for her to keep close tabs on him. The two hadn't hit it off at first but Ko gradually fell for Shen, who was always pressuring him to study hard. On the other hand, Shen became impressed by the contrasting values Ko represented. Ko started pursuing Shen but Shen remained hesitant. After graduation from senior high, Ko and Shen almost became a couple but the deal was spoilt by a duke out (fistfight) competition organized by Ko. Growing up together to witness their beloved Shen walking down the aisle to become someone else's wife, these boys have learned their coming-of-age lessons and continue to pursue each's happiness" (20th Century Fox).

  
 Love sparks between Shen Jia-yi, an outstanding girl in class with Ko Ching-Teng, a mischievous boy with "childish" behaviour. Both of this two characters shared a unique relationship through a journey of high school and university. Despite contrasting characters, both have feelings for each other and were perfectly matched as soul mates, they were not together in the end. Some might not like the ending but I find it really real as most of us do not end up with  the person we love the most. That's why I felt this movie really spoke to me and I was very emotionally touched after watching it. (I know how it felt as I as an "underperformer" in university dated a "bookworm" before. I'm sure she is reading this and I wanna thank her for sweet memories spent together.) There were many memorable quotes, among the famous "妳就是我眼中的苹果,而我就是那幼稚的男孩, 才有办法喜欢妳那么久。虽然妳不喜欢我, 但是请让我继续的喜欢妳。我不求回报,只求妳幸福快乐" towards the ending of the film. Personally I like the quote which literally translates into "The most magical stage in a relationship is the period before a couple gets together officially, that's the "ai mei" and courting stage"

  
Michelle Chen Yan Xi played the role of top-performing student Shen Jia-yi. I have noticed her in Miss No Good but her character in this movie is totally down to earth. She is officially the top of my list now in fictional girl-next-door character. =) How I wish there is a sweet girl poking my back with a pen every now and then. Well, gone were my student days, there's only a haggard aunty backstabbing me from behind while at work. LOL... 

 那些年,我們一起追的女孩 is indeed a heart warming, light hearted comedy which is well expressed and directed by Giddens (author of the novel with the same title). Directly translated into "In those days, the girl whom we chased after", the official English title is "You Are the Apple of My Eye". I just managed to catch it on cinema just now. Good thing as today is the last day of screening. Despite being seated 3rd row from the front in a fully packed cinema hall, I'm glad I managed to reminiscent and cherish moments of the past and see the sweet character of Shen Jia-yi on the big screen.

And yes, this is the theme song which is a hit song in radio stations, music charts and karaoke session. If you see me review a movie in a food blog, damn! That movie must be REAL GOOD! =)

No comments: