Saturday, January 5, 2013

Tong Pak Fu. Midvalley

This was a delayed post due to procrastination and due to poor photo quality due to the orange lighting. Tong Pak Fu is situated nearby the Cinema Area of Midvalley and was opened few months before the Hui Lau Shan mango craze hit our shores. Mango also seems to be their hit theme here, as seen in this picture above, The Mango Sago Dessert. Quite a common scene in dessert house nowadays. The one here is thick, creamy and full of mango goodness at the price or around RM9 if I'm not mistaken. If cold desserts are not your preference, you can opt for many hot desserts like Double Boiled Pear tong shui, Black Glutinous Rice Cream, Peanut Butter Cream to name a few. Whatever your choice is, try not to skip their signature product below.

I'm unsure of the origin of this Snow Ice dessert but as far as I know, this craze has originated in Taiwan but the Hongkies too have their own version/improvisation and made popular in Hong Kong based F&B chains like Kim Gary, Hui Lau Shan and even here Tong Pak Fu (not to mention pasar malam stalls nowadays). The significant difference can been in this photo compared to other SHAVED iced desserts is layers of light and fluffy snow ice is meticulously piled up in a tower form, drizzled with syrup and garnished with accompaniments like the signature chewy Pearls, Sago Balls containing sourish yoghurt based filling, Aloe Vera Jelly, Grass Jelly, Taro Balls, Cornflakes, fresh fruits cubes/slices to name a few. I had the Mango Snow Ice (RM10 if I'm not mistaken) but I heard from my friends that the Durian Snow Ice is da bomb!

Will I come back again? Hmm... If I'm out of new dessert/cafe based outlets in Midvalley, perhaps I will make a return since they do serve snacks like Curry Fish Balls, Rice Cakes, Fried Chicken Cutlets, Fried Squid to name a few and also fusion/Western desserts like Crepe, Lava Vake/Brownies. Till then, cheers to the first weekend of 2013 as I prepare on my next post of yet another KL dessert gem :)

No comments: